Resource Sustainability

No matter where you go there is always ‘big talk’ on the cost of water. An eye-opening research document was recently published by Bank of America on how resource sustainability could progress in the future.

The article offered really good statistics on water; one of the biggest being water-related industries representing roughly $500 billion in today’s market to value $1 trillion by 2020. That is a huge number but shows how much the world needs water. The statistics also show 57 percent of the world’s fresh water resources are in just 10 countries, leaving the other 43 percent to be distributed between 189 other major countries. That means 1.6 billion people face an economic water shortage where the infrastructure can’t provide the needed supply. This is another reminder of how important an operator is and how we need to focus on our water source management and infrastructure to better handle the issues we may face in the future.

I know at times it may be hard to think of future needs with so many issues in the present and budget cuts all around, but if we don’t take action now, we’ll only be hurting more in the coming years.

Click on the link below to read the full article. Resource sustainability can be found on pages 13 and 14.

Bank of America: A Transforming World

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Clayton Getz, Educational Tools and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.