Tag Archives: surface water

Continuing Education Opportunity – Surface Water Protection, Organic Removal and Math

The Division of Compliance Assistance is hosting “Surface Water Protection, Organic Removal and Math” at Greenbo Lake State Resort Park. The class will discuss the importance of and methods used to protect surface water, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency mandates … Continue reading

Posted in George Haynes, News & Events | Tagged , , , , ,

Water Sources

Our population is increasing every day. We as a nation are using more and more water. This makes water conservation more important than ever. People need to understand what the operator goes through and to be aware that the amount … Continue reading

Posted in Educational Tools | Tagged , , ,

Three Kentucky Drinking Water Plants Win National Awards

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently announced the winners of the 2011 Region 4 Consumer Confidence Report Excellence Awards. Three of the six categories were won by Kentucky systems. The six categories include small, medium and large surface water … Continue reading

Posted in News & Events | Tagged , ,

Filtration Rate

As a surface water operator, one of the commonly used math equations is for calculating the filtration rate of their conventional plant. There are two parts of the equation: flow in gallon per minute (gpm) and surface area (sqft) of … Continue reading

Posted in Clayton Getz, Educational Tools | Tagged , , ,

Contamination in Surface Water and Ground Water

Recognizing that groundwater and surface water interact is crucial to the health and safety of the public and without the assistance of operators that task would be far more difficult. Operators know more about the water system than anyone else, … Continue reading

Posted in Educational Tools | Tagged , , , ,

Groundwater

In an earlier blog post, I discussed the sources of drinking water and their availability. The sources are surface water, groundwater under the direct influence of surface water and groundwater. Today, I would like to talk more in depth about … Continue reading

Posted in Educational Tools, Tim Ricketts | Tagged , , , , , , ,

Freshwater Sources

The amount of freshwater sources on Earth is limited. Approximately 97.5 percent of the water on Earth is saltwater with a chloride content of approximately 35,000 milligrams per liter, which makes it undrinkable. The other 2.5 percent is freshwater. Of … Continue reading

Posted in Educational Tools, Tim Ricketts | Tagged , , , ,