Vacancy Announcement #54878BR
Kentucky Operator Certification Program
Environmental Scientist II
Post Date: Jun. 16, 2017
Post Ending Date: Jun. 25, 2017
The Kentucky Division of Compliance Assistance is seeking candidates to deliver structured training and examinations to potential and current drinking water system and wastewater treatment operators. This vacancy is one of four positions responsible for these duties. Frequent overnight travel within the state is required.
Kentucky law requires that only individuals certified by the Department for Environmental Protection may operate a drinking water and/or wastewater system. This certification is required to verify that an operator has sufficient knowledge and experience to properly manage these facilities and ensure that water supplied to the public is safe for consumption and that wastewater is properly treated. The division provides training to operators to help them prepare for their certification examination and to help operators that are already certified obtain the continuing education credits required for the maintenance of their certification license.
This position will be responsible for the following activities:
- Develop and Deliver Certification Training – Enhance existing certification training materials and develop additional training materials that will maximize a water treatment operator’s knowledge and abilities. Deliver this information in structured training events at locations throughout the Commonwealth.
- Administer Certification Exams – Proctor certification exam events.
- Review Certification Applications – Review certification exam applications to ensure that only qualified individuals are permitted to take a certification exam.
- Assist Operators – Help individuals interested in becoming a certified operator understand the certification training and testing process.
- Serve as a Technical Resource – Provide technical information to the department’s Compliance Assistance Program to ensure that meaningful assistance is provided to Kentucky’s drinking water and wastewater systems.
All applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications.
- Graduate of a college or university with a bachelor’s degree in a natural or physical science. Professional experience in natural resources, environmental control or a related area will substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Must have one year of professional experience in natural resources, environmental control or a related area. Graduate study in the natural or physical sciences will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Individuals with any of the following skills and experiences are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with drinking water system operations, wastewater treatment, training or adult education
- Demonstrated capability to prepare informational handouts, publications and training materials
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Capable with word processing and presentation software
This vacancy is a merit position within Kentucky State Government. All merit positions are hired via competitive registers maintained by the Personnel Cabinet. Information on the process for applying for jobs with the Commonwealth of Kentucky can be found at https://careers.ky.gov. Interested parties are also encouraged to notify the contact listed below via email.
Application Deadline: Jun. 25, 2017
Position Location: Frankfort, Kentucky
Salary: Grade 13, (Min-Mid) $32,042.40 – $42,656.40 yearly at 37.5 hours/week
Contact: Jessica Wilhoite, Branch Manager within the Division of Compliance Assistance, can be reached at 502-564-0323 or via email at Jessica.Wilhoite@ky.gov.